Inspiring and empowering student to build a compassionate and creative community through innovative and challenging arts education.
Culver City High School’s Academy of Visual & Performing Arts (AVPA) is a “specialized secondary program” created in 1996 through a grant from the state of California with major support from Sony Pictures Entertainment. The program offers intensive classes, workshops, and programs in departments of Music, Theatre, Visual Art, Film, and Dance. Culver City HS also offers regular day classes in Music, Visual Art, Film, and Theatre that also count as credits towards an AVPA Certificate of Completion. Led by certificated teachers, additional adjunct faculty who are professional artists are brought in to teach workshops, classes, lead productions and exhibitions, or to work on projects with students. Along with Culver City Unified School District, major sponsors of AVPA include the AVPA Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization founded and run by parent volunteers. Business and institutional sponsors include: Sony Pictures Entertainment, The Actors’ Gang, Center Theatre Group, The Los Angeles County Museum of Art, CCUSD Front & Center Theatre Collaborative, the Fineshriber Family Foundation, Playa Vista, Museum of Contemporary Art, the Culver City Education Foundation, and West Los Angeles College. Visit www.avpafoun.dot5hosting.com for more information.
The Academy student has an opportunity to:
- Graduate with between 10-15 courses completed in their major
- Receive college credit for some courses (UC/CSU approved)
- Learn from professional teaching staff
- Practice their craft using state-of-the-art technology and facilities
- Access internships and scholarships
- Participate in many productions and projects each year (25 per year across all four majors)
- Be part of a dedicated and motivated student population
- Receive teacher/parent communication and guidance, as well as business, community, and higher education support
- Make connections with the professional world and institutions of higher education
For more information, please download the brochure below: